BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:30:27 EST
Ken Folet writes:
>>>Those who consider themselves craftspeople, who have had the opportunity of
education, intelligence, good health, and economic resources to take up a
refined trade are a different breed than the average construction worker. It
is important that we not lose sight of the fact that craftspeople are not the
proletariat. A middle class individual with a High School or higher education
that chooses to embrace hand labor is not the same as a Cumberland dirt n'piss
farmer who takes up and shows skill as a finish carpenter and who after many
years gets involved in fixing up a local church.

I think it is important in respect of the Preservation Trades Network that
this distinction be recognized. Otherwise I fear that the outcome of the
networking will be that the talent of the Cumberlands carpenter will be left
behind in neglect by those who are more articulate and informed.<<<

Yes, Yes. An important part of my work has always been recognizing, using and
"educating" *local* trades talent where ever I go. I was very concerned to
note that the next IPTN  Workshop is planned for a venue not far from the last
venue, and even closer to the big city. I would hate to see the IPTN get
"capital city" oriented and even less accessible to those tradespeople who
need it most. It seems like the IPTN should consider hosting events that draw
capital city resources further out into the field in order to help those who
can't make the trip back East or into the big city. Places like south central
Indiana, or east central Alabama, or northern Nebraska. These places are not
near any city or town whose name you are likely recognize. But the people in
these places do recognize the cultural value of their built enviornment and
have difficulting finding tradespeople who have the knowledge and sensitive
touch needed. Perhaps there *is* the early need to build the IPTN with capital
city resources, but it must take its show to the hinterlands sooner rather
than later. It must spread from the educated craftspeople to the tradespeople
who really are the ones who do most of the preservation in this country.

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant