BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Astral Rendered Bee Wax -TM"
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:07:31 EDT
In a message dated 04/11/2000 12:08:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hey guys - here's a neat item: conference proceedings (and papers) on
CD-Rom.
>  Searchable, too! I heard the conference was great. Did any BPers attend?
Any
>  comments?

I was there. It was a really good conference... I was really hoping that we'd
see some chair-throwning fights between the DEP's and the DOT's, but it never
went that far.

Frankly, Richard Hunter's paper on the historical significance of Route 1
(for those of you that have never had the... experience .... of driving this
stretch of NJ pavement; let's just say, it pretty much embodies the worst of
New Jersey's sprawl development) was especially compelling (although the
paper wasn't as resonant for the out-of-towners).

I thought it was especially interesting to talk about what actually
constitutes an historic road. To me, those were the most provocative
discussions. How does one identify, characterize, describe, and
manage/regulate a historic road?

Ironically, often the roads (like Route 1) that have some of the longest
history are also the roads that are still important functioning arterial
transportation routes, and have uniquely adapted to their usefulness to
modern society.

Roads really challenge the traditional definitions of historic preservation.

-ON(E)theroadagainCat