BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:39:55 EST
Manhattan Shist
No not a swear word; its the major Rock formation that runs through Manhattan
when I was laboring on the Cathedral St.John there was a story that one of
the major problems in the early history of its construction was finding bed rock
; (Not bedlam Ralph)
 facing the Cathedral they were sure they found bed rock on the left tower
side
however it was rumored that they didn't on the Cathedrals right side.

I rode the Cathedral face on a 125ft lift monitoring a large crack from above
the rose window that carried down through the masonry joints all the way to
its base

I was  putting up microscope slide glass (tell tails) with a young pretty
engineering student in a short skirt  from Columbia who was studying cracks ....(
don't go there Ralph)..
In the seventy 's and the eighties there was some seismic activity; but the
crack seemed older .

In light of the earthquakes in Iran ; isn't there a major fault that runs
down 125 st (Cathedral is at 112) and a second seismic fault at Spring street ;

Are the possibilities  remote that there will ever be a large earthquake  and
thats what spurs new building .....or are the market forces of Real Estate so
strong that one of the largest American cities is living like the citizens of
Pompeii  who thought living on the side of a volcano was swell......if you
are building a 55 story building anywhere are there methods now in place to
withstand shock  or is it window dressing like the new double bulkhead in the
Titanic.

 Im not gloating from here; there is something called the Madras (sp) fault
thought to be the largest that when it goes will take out the Mississippi
;.......
but then if you ask my wife whoose fault it is ........she will tell you
.......Py