BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"S. Sasser" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Sasser
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:01:19 -0400
Ken,

When I was 19 my first project on my first "real" job, working for the
Ranching Heritage Center, was to climb the tower of an Eclipse windmill and
do an exploded axonometric drawing of the 12 foot diameter wood wheel,
balance arm, and mechanism.   I was then, although I've since gotten better,
terrified of heights.  It was difficult trying to deploy a tape measure,
while wrapped around the tower, clinging on for dear life.  Every so often,
the West Texas wind would pivot the wheel around the platform between me and
the ladder.  I once got stranded up on the platform for about 4 hours,
waiting for the wind to shift the wheel around again.  The boys on the crew
thought that was endlessly funny, but at least they did toss me up a
sandwich.  There was a girl on the landscape crew that ditched her clothes
one really hot day and took a dip in a cedar windmill tank.  The boys hid
her clothes, and she had to streak all the way back to the visitor center in
the altogether.

/sign me/ a jack knife and a rattlesnake

Lisa

 >She is from Texas where I assume young people do these things. >Then
again, I suspect between her a jackknife and a feral hog she >would not go
hungry.