BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:28:01 -0400
Met History wrote:

> In a message dated 7/23/03 7:39:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> I had a call from a salvage person who has 160,000 sq feet of
>> polished marble that is going to be removed from the UMASS medical
>> building in Worcester, MA.  Asking price is $ 2.60 a square foot.
>>   As for thickness, I have no idea.
>

> So what would such material be used for?  And what does new marble go
> for?     Christopher

Used for?  There was an RFP out recently for someone to do interesting
trinket type things with a length of original transmission cable from
Hoover Dam. I requested the info but htey must not have thought I was
serious (I need to listen to Leland more often). I imagine you can use
the UMASS marble to cut into little squares to glue wire sculptures onto
-- monuments to Edison & Tesla.

You could do a lot of interesting things with slabs of marble. Build a
wall. Water cut silhouettes of donkeys or those quaint roadsides things
with the mama bending over to pick her petunias. Send it all to Iraq and
hire locals to make tombstones and little elephant sculptures... or is
that India/Pakistan where they do that? Make a hell of a lot of earings.

Cost? Hmmmm... give me thickness and overall size of panels and I'll get
you a comparative cost to the $2.60 p/SF. Asking price & buying price
are not always the same... seems to me selling flat marble off a
building is like trying to sell old copies of the National Geographic.
Sexy but not worth a piss in a pot.

][<en