BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:34:05 -0500
Met History wrote:

> >From "Country Life in America", March 1936:
>
> "Plan Your Skeet Field Now!"
>
> "No doubt you have considered a Skeet-shooting field of your own, or one
> established jointly by you and a group of friends ...  And why not?
> Perfection of Skeet trap and release equipment by WESTERN makes this
> fascinating gun sport available to YOU, your country club or your yacht club,
> at a cost much lower than the expense of constructing a good tennis court or
> a golf putting course."
>
> Of course, when I spotted this ad ... I thought of all you.
>
> Sign me,  Sharpshooter

Somehow this puts me in mind of the people who built a house next to Piping Rock
Country Club in Locust Valley, NY & then went crazy about the skeet range-
complaining loudly & bitterly about the shooting, unmindful of Winston
Churchill's observation that there is nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot
at and missed.
& others in the same area complaining about the noise of horse hooves on the
pavement,
& folks who put up homes adjacent to farms- or better yet the tank museum in
Ken's 'hood & then complain of the dust & the noise

DD