BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:00:21 -0500
Ruth,

I'm lookin'

Eric Hammarberg, Assoc. AIA
Vice President
Thornton Tomasetti
51 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10010
T 917.661.7800  F 917.661.7801
D 917.661.8160
www.ThorntonTomasetti.com

-----Original Message-----
From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ruth Barton
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] From stone to wood

I wonder if  I could possibly drag you folks away from stone, brown or
otherwise, for a bit.

The General Store in Putney, VT, most imaginatively known as "Putney
General Store," has apparently been in continuous operation as a store
since sometime in the 1700's, and may  have been the longest running
general store in VT.

In May 2008 there was a fire in the building which took the whole roof
off.
For whatever reason the owner either couldn't, or chose not to, obtain
funding to repair the damage, and it sat all last summer in either
pouring rain or sweltering heat. All the while townspeople are waiting
and wondering what is going to become of this building right on the most
prominent corner in this small town.  In mid August a member of the
Putney Historical Society board, of which I am also a member, sent an
e-mail that she had this idea that the Historical Society should buy the
building and try to save it.  She has a degree in some sort of "historic
preservation"
and works as a consultant in this field and had been in conversation
with the owner and with some other people in the state historic
preservation community.

Long story short, the Historical Society did buy the building in Nov.
and work has begun on stabilization and getting a roof on.  This is not
the greatest time of year to do this sort of work and there have been a
number of set-backs.  When old Vermonters decided to change a building
they didn't hire fancy architects and contractors--they did it
themselves.  Therefore a
lot of the work was unorthodox, to say the least.   If a beam, joist,
wall
or whatever was in the way--just cut it off!  If the floor be sloping,
don't jack the building--build another floor over the old one to make it
level, and on and on.

HOWEVER, one of our worst problems seems to be MOLD.  Now, mold doesn't
bother me and I was amazed to find and few years back that it does
bother some people, A LOT.  So now we have all this mold that has been
growing in an old building since it was thoroughly soaked by the fire
dept. last spring.  Today we had a guy come by, I guess to tell us what
kind of mold it was and make suggestions for how to get rid of it.  He
doesn't do this sort of work himself, I think he's a mycologist, I think
that's the term for one who studies mold.

So, finally, here's my question--does anyone on this list know of a
company, person, etc.  that does mold abatement in the area of VT,NH, MA
border?  Thanks for reading this whole epistle, Ruth

PS:  If anyone would be interested in what I'm talking about I think the
website is:  putneygeneralstore.com.  Sorry I don't know how to make it
turn blue so you can click on it.  If that doesn't work just google
Putney, VT and there's a link there.
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT

--

The information in this email and any attachments may contain