BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:00:01 -0400
I agree about the river beds. I'm not advocating that, but for Mountain top miners to put it back anywhere close to the way it was, would make it way too expensive. I did a study of floods on the Cumberland. The statistics show flooding is proportional to the price of coal. Flooding actually went down, the year the first Strip Mine Reclamation act was put in place. Of course mountaintop removal  dwarfs the old strip mining. With increases in parking lots without retention basins and other defoliation of the forests plus added rain pulses due to global warming, we will see more flooding than even before the TVA remediation (that probably due to clear cutting). Timber companies are now starting in again on the forests cut 100 years ago, plus exotic insects are attacking the pine and hemlock forests. Many people in the downstream cities who don't see the connection between their cheap power and the coming floods will blame it on God like everything else.

That's my rant anyway.

Larry2

--

*Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* <http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp>