BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:08:19 -0500
>To be a devil's advocate -  what about all those Pep Boy buildings?  Won't
>they become a part of Americana to be preserved in the future?  How
>nostalgic are we for the old Mickey D's, with the walk-up counter, sit in
>your car and eat those incredible french fries; or the drive-in A&W place
>that still stands in Cortland, NY?  I'm not saying to go ahead and tear
>down an 18th c house - that would be ludicrous!  Since I live in a 19th c
>house, I want it to stay around for many years to come - I hope the work we
>have done on it and that which we will do on it in the future, assures
>that.  I'm not overly fond of Pep Boys dotting the landscape.  Just wanted
>to see what the fallout would be on this type of discussion.

I did a talk on the oxymoron in the subject line above.  I'm with you on
this one, Pam.  Have to run right now, I'll try to dig up the electronic
copy and post it shortly....

Dan Becker,  Executive Director       "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                                 heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                                   -- Elbert Hubbard