BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edison Coatings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:40:25 -0400
I suspect that tinting practices varied tremendously. On the American Museum
of Natural History, outer pointing mortars were red, inner bedding mortars are
grey. Of course, you know I'm not going to leave it at that...all the mortar
is natural cement-based.

As for maximum pigment levels, ASTM C979 (colorants for concrete) restricts
iron oxide pigments to 10% of the weight of the CEMENT, not total mortar
weight. Carbon black is restricted to 2% of cement weight. As the proportion
of the very fine pigment particles increases, it takes more water to make the
mix workable, and there is more surface area competing for the cement. High
pigment levels therefore reduce strength and increase shrinkage. Most colors
can be matched with 5% or less (on cement wt.), and increasing beyond this
point doesn't necessarily give stronger colors- a saturation point is reached.

Mortar analyses CAN identify original pigment concentration, which goes back
to an old argument I had with a restoration architect who wanted to replicate
the historic mortar on a building in Florida. Pigment concentration was over
20% and I argued for a year that he should not duplicate a mistake. Reason
eventually prevailed in that particular case.

Mike E

> >     (ruling out historically tinted mortars)
> >
> > When 19th century builders colored the mortar to bring out colors in
> > the surrounding masonry, did they color the entire batch?     Or is it
> > only the first inch or two?
> >
> c,

... was tinted through and