BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:23:21 -0500
newer vinyl siding does vent much better than the older stuff. I have seen
damage caused by water build up on older systems. I have a hard time getting
the newer siding off to see what's happening, but it does seem to me that
the whole dynamics of vapor transmission has been changed in recent history.
I've seen barn roofs (cedar shakes) over 50 years and still sound. Try a
shake roof on plywood and your lucky to get 10 years. There is quite a
controversy now about house wraps which are supposedly designed to release
vapor, but seem to be causing problems. Some things I know: There is allot
more vapor generated in todays house, houses are allot tighter, water vapor
can get through about anything but plastic. ctb