BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Walter Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The saddest thing someone can say: "I used to write poetry."
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:56:16 -0600
Ken

>I'm curious, though, if the house burnt down why they did not build a new
>fireplace then?

Keep in mind, the people who built the travertine fireplace over the old
firebox of the limestone fireplace were the same people who chopped off the
volutes and cartouche and moldings. Are you asking me to explain their
logic in not building a new fireplace? That would require my being able to
understand their brains and aesthetic voids.

The way the fireplace was put together, it would not have been any more
work to remove all the limestone than to chisel/bust off all the carving.

I don't even understand the original fireplace, with its 7' high common
brick shallow firebox.
Walter S. Arnold  * [log in to unmask]
Gallery:        http://www.stonecarver.com
Gargoyle postcards: http://www.stonecarver.com/postcard.html