BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
maybe this could fall apart after the checks clear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:31:07 -0500
I have just installed a cork floor in my new kitchen - my second kitchen to
have cork. I think it is the best! It wears well and cuts with a utility
knife. It can easily last 50 years (FLWright used it in Fallingwater), it is
warm to the touch and good sound insulating.

My first installation was prefinished (urethane) cork tiles on old vinyl
floor over a concrete slab in an apartment. It was amazing how resilient the
1/4" material was - we never broke a glass or plate that fell from the
counter. Note, if you do prefinished tiles, make sure you add a few coats of
urethane  (water based works great and goes down fast) when complete - it
seals the seams.

Two weeks ago I finished my second cork kitchen floor, this time over wood
subfloor. I laminated 3/8" AC plywood (with dash patch) over the existing
1/2" ply that was laid over the original diagonal board subflooring. This
installation was unfinished cork tiles (12 x 12) glued down and stained (oil
based). I finished with water based urethane (Mega from Sweden) and it looks
fabulous!

I have always purchased my cork from Dodge Rugupol out of Pennsylvania, they
delivered 220 SF and water based adhesive in 3 days.

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Associate
LZA Technology