BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
When I'm in bed I'm a tourist.
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:49:07 -0700
Hey CT,  I got my own chicken stories--many of them, but you folks ain't
got time to hear 'em all.  Started when I was about 5 and Dad decided to
raise hens to ship eggs.  Then when I was about 7 Grandad decided I needed
to have some hens to sell eggs to teach me responsibility and thrift.

As an adult I have had about every type of bird known to man, except swans
and peafowl, both of which I would love to have.  At one time I had 3-4
incubators going at a time with various fowl.  For a few years we incubated
quail for a man who kept them to train hunting dogs.  Man can those things
RUN and FLY--the minute they hatch out.  Once they got out of the pen on
our brown carpet.  The only way we could get them was to wait quietly until
they called to each other then scoop them up with a fish net.

We have had turkeys for about 20 years now.  This year I decided to send
away for turkeys since the ones we could get locally grew too large--last
year we had 5 toms weigh over 40 lbs.  Ordered the min of 15, only got 13,
7 died in first couple of days leaving 6 birds.  Hubby kept saying "that
white one is a chicken."  I told him, "no, it's a turkey."  Guess what?  We
now have one hen.  Well, I like fresh eggs, guess we're back in the chicken
business.  I'll not order from that hatchery again.

At the school where we work one of the students wanted to have chickens so
his Dad donated a hen house and a few birds.  Turned out some of them were
roosters and faculty complained so I had to find homes for said roosters.
Science teacher decides incubating eggs would be a cool lesson--result,
more chickens.  Got rid of some, kept some, more roosters.  At this point
there are 3 hens in the chicken house at school.  Some got eaten by wild
varmints, some just died of old age and everybody is hopeful the rest will
follow shortly.  A boarding school is not the place for hens.

Any body else got some good chicken stories?  Ruth