BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:09:41 EST
In a message dated 11/17/2000 6:45:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< In a message dated 11/17/2000 5:16:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 [log in to unmask] writes:

 > I'm interested.  Talk to me (us).  Does this mean hot water radiators
 >  supplanting hot air furnaces? I can tell you that my 1952 natal house in
Culver City CA had a gas-fired "floor furnace"  until we remodeled the house
and put in a ducted system in 1965;  my grandfather's c. 1920 house in LA had
a similar gas-fired floor furnace; and that original radiators were removed
from my c. 1920 elementary school in the early 60's and replaced with
wall-mounted gas-fired furnaces in every classroom... a few years before the
unreinforced brick school was demolished as an earthquake hazard.  My 1887
rowhouse in Jersey City had its original Baltimore Heater in the ground floor
dining room when I bought it in 1977, but the coal grate had been replaced
with a gas burner.  The coal kitchen stove had been removed to modernize the
kitchen, and a central ducted furnace installed. Several of the neighbors'
houses still had one or the other or both coal stoves, some converted to burn
gas.  Also found abandoned awning hardware (in JC and in NYC rental bldgs),
leading me to previous comments What are the 7 habits of highly effective
heating systems, ca. 1950?

 Somehow I don't know how I got from 1950 awnings to 1900 radiators, but I'm
 sure it's all Ralph's fault.

 I think I'll officially change my nickname from ONEcat to TANgent.

I gotta work on a snappy reply to this, but in the meantime, I'm going to bed.

PASTYgent