BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 03:25:23 -0500
Just a few passing thoughts-

I have found the time I have spent for 25 years training students,
apprentices and employees as satisfying a part of my work as anything else
I do. The kind of hand work I practice, on furniture as well as buildings,
is a rare thing around here, and I consider myself very much a part of the
continuum, and do not want to be the last in a line.

Sure I've created monsters, that is, craftsmen who have gone into
competition with me, but I don't find that my opportunities have suffered
from it. There is something to be said, in the way of publicity value, for
being known as the guy who trained a lot of other successful craftsman. I
may lose the skinflints who will sniff out the new kid on the block and
take advantage of his hunger, but I retain those who are willing to pay
money for maturity of craft and gain new customers from their
recommendations.

                                ***

Some years ago I tried to influence the State Dept. of Education to
consider opening up their apprenticeship programs to include craftspeople
in addition to the usual construction trades and factory jobs. Deaf ears,
and this in a state that probably has more self-employed craftspeople and
wanabees than any other. They just couldn't see the point that, for
instance, if you have a whole bunch of old houses that need saving, there
is anything more needed to be done than to train a bunch of Voc. Tech. kids
to be house framers and finish carpenters. One of these days I'm going to
take another shot at it. Care to join me John?

Bruce