BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:11:22 EST
In a message dated 98-01-09 07:21:43 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> "D&D
>  preservation" -- document and destroy.  Memorandums of agreement, in my
>  experience, are notoriously uncreative when it comes to mitigation and
>  sensitive treatment of historic resources.

Are there a basic set of strategic guidelines that are available to
preservationists? I think a 1st Defense book for the mainstreeters, small town
preservationists, and rural individuals wanting to stop their neighbors from
D&D would be a valuable contribution to the preservation movement in general.
I'm convinced we approach the pressures of development as individuals fighting
our valiant fights mainly as a volunteer force of amateurs. Whenever I have
met a group wanting to preserve a particular building in their locality it is
always like talking to pioneers who are seeking out how the people in the next
valley over saved their building. I think there needs to be a simple strategic
manual that people can get a jump start on the fight, and learn from the
experience of others.

Common problem: finding qualified craftspersons & contractors.
Common problem: not recognizing the economic advantages of adaptive re-use.
Common problem: assumptions that progressive development are always good.

I'm considering throwing out some scenarios to BP and see what can be
distilled as usefull strategy to deal with them. I'm looking for a Book of
Strategems of use to preservationeers.

][<en