BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts.
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:08:37 -0400
Well, next week is the IPTW at Frederick, MD... here is what David and I
have in mind for our session. Hopefully by the time we get to MD we will
have put in the last few hours of detailed touch-up for a fully finished
job. By that time the bathroom relocation project will have taken 30
working days for a crew of 3 (me included though it was never planned
that way). It has been interesting, to say the least... my face-to-face
screaming match with the owner of the property early on I cannot say was
the most critical point though I have never in the past had to do just
that. The finished result looks good to the eye.

I suggest that you might take the time to go online to www.iptw.org and
see who else will be there and their sessions... some very interesting
folk and a really fine gathering is anticipated along with a few BP'rs
scattered here and there.

Traditional Trades in the Urban Environment of NYC

Ken Follett and David Follett of the Follett Group, LLC will present
tools, techniques and experiences of work on historic projects in one of
the most concentrated urban environments in the world.  Presentation
will revolve around a recently completed project of deconstruction and
reconstruction of a 300 SF marble clad bathroom that was previously
constructed 20 odd years ago of stone salvaged from the St. Regis Hotel.

The presentation will focus on how various conditions and restrictions
of the urban environment impact on work practice, logistics, the work
crew, the customer and the ever present public.  A variety of examples,
stories and curious projects (Mount Morris Fire Watch Tower, Bowne
House, Lefferts House, Hessian Hut, Emir of Qatar residence, and Gate of
Heaven cemetery chapel dalle de verre stained glass) will be
highlighted.  Comparisons will be made between the experience of work in
urban and non-urban environments. Tools will be presented with
discussion of specific techniques, as well as the process of
experiential in-field trade education, project communications and
management.