BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
This conversation may be monitored for quality control.
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:07:01 -0100
Cuyler,

You bring up something else I am curious about. You mention a 'first
class 1960's restoration crew'. W/in the context of an East Coast urban
environment, NYC, I get the impression that the chances of previously
intelligent 'first class' interventions are slim to zero. And yet there
is here in NYC all this beaurocratic system developed to 'protect' the
resulting outcome. My bile came up recently in a conversation where
someone rather innocently implied that turning over a particular
historic structure to the City (and we are not talking Phelps here)
would save the property. Their reasoning was that this is an important
historic structure and that the City will recognize that. My response
was that the City does not give a crap. That in fact the system of the
City would more likely accelerate the destruction of the historic fabric
of the building, leastways what the termites don't eat first. [I see it
as a similar to those folks who believe their old National Geographics
must be worth money. Just because you have held onto them for ages does
not mean anyone else wants them.] I advised that thorough investigation
and collection of verifiable and well reasoned facts about the structure
would form the basis of a strategic plan and that only the undaunted
diligence of those invested with a personal interest in the building
would ever save the building. So, what you bring up that I am curious
about is the geographic context on one hand of a highly structured
'system' as opposed to a less structured one... the situation of a place
of many rules as opposed to a place of fewer rules... and the relevance
of finding out who is of a 'first class' persuasion -- seems very
difficult to specify that quality -- and simply to leave them alone to
find their way through the trees... or the overlay of a cluster by
committee of experts.

I am reminded of Langley vs. Wright Bros when it came to figure out how
to fly an airplane.

Really kool description of Craigflower Manor & Schoolhouse National
Historic Site - I look forward to future reports.

][<en