BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Royal Order of Lacunae Pluggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:54:13 EST
In a message dated 3/23/01 7:18:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< What is wrong with letting
 those with less knowledge believe something is authentic that to an expert
 may not be?  After all that expert may be enjoying some beliefs that are
 false as well.  Is the belief in The Big Bang Theory or God more defensible
 than the belief in the Easter Bunny? >>

A serious question worthy of a serious answer.

Big Bang: I struggled to read History of Time and having understood around 5
or 8% of it, can only conclude that the Big Bang is irrelevant because it
does not serve any useful purpose in defining the laws of the universe as we
currently experience them.

God: Too controversial with insufficient data to permit the formation of
reliable conclusions. Interesting, though, with the potential for both
wonderful and horrifying ramifications.

Easter Bunny: I dislike manipulative fables as a rule.

There is some knowledge that there is no point in sharing. Harmless illusions
need not be debunked, particularly if they provide comfort or have personal
meaning to the person harboring the illusion. Other illusions are dangerous
and need to be challenged by those with greater knowledge. In the reality
that includes the nuts and bolts of what we all do for a living, there are
some strange perceptions that lead to some very real consequences. Shame on
the knowledgeable person who doesn't speak up!

Mike E.