BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:26:34 -0400
Ruth,
Thank you.  It was a distant memory.  When we would help out, Sugar on Snow
was a reward.  The fellow that used to be in charge of the sugaring back
then, was a true "Vehmonta" named Hezzy.  I have a framed picture of him in
my office.  We could count on him to give us scrap planks from the mill for
our tree houses and forts.  He had many criptic sayings, tended the people
garden in the summer, and never went to social events, but if there was
something to celebrate about, he would get drunk, and you could find him at
dinner time lying in the dirt at the lower part of the garden. One of the
things he disliked most was the out of state hunters that would hunt without
asking, and set up those damned tin hotels.  One of the things he liked best
were the babysitters that used to come to our house in the summer from
Montreal and Rutland. I went up for milk and vegetables on a Saturday once
and young Sharon had curlers in her hair, he surprised her as he rose from
the hay barn, and she was so sorry and apologized for her appearance, and he
replied, "No harm, I never look at the heads anyway." He died about 40 years
ago.  You should come to Barre in a truck loaded with Ruth's Sugarin'
Sweets.  And if Ralph gets enough, he may give you a life time waiver for
dues.
Best,
Leland