BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edison Coatings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 12:46:34 -0400
The strategic rationale behind the Third System was logical and sound. Totten
argued against those who favored spending everything on naval forces with
simple math - if there were 6 ports to defend and we were to rely on naval
force alone, we would have to have a navy six times larger than the British,
who could send their entire force against any one of those targets from Boston
to New Orleans. If the harbors were to be defended by naval forces alone, the
enemy could simply intercept shipping offshore. If the navy went out to defend
shipping, our ports would be left undefended. We could not attack British
ports, because they were defended by fortifications, which had the advantage
in an artillery exchange.

Military technology is always about an arms race. You armor the humvee's, they
come up with better IED's. That doesn't mean we give up on defenses. You just
build the next round of better armored vehicles and enjoy the advantage while
you have it.

The third system adapted, too. While concentrated firepower was an advantage
earlier in the 19th century, later on rifled artillery increased gun range and
accuracy to the point where large forts were an easy target. So in response,
land-based artillery was dispersed over wider areas, making them more
difficult to target. In the Endicott era, if I have my history right, a couple
of large guns were all that was needed to defend a port that in earlier times
had to be defended by dozens of smaller ones. The fort as a target was no
longer a big issue, as artillery exchanges would be expected to occur across
miles of open ocean.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
Michael P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive
Plainville, CT 06062
Phone: (860) 747-2220 or (800)697-8055
Fax: (860)747-2280 or (800) 697-8044
Internet: www.edisoncoatings.com
          www.rosendalecement.net
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

> "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man"
>

> I am not saying that the third system forts were useless.

> "The appearance of the ironclad warship armed with heavy guns brought
> with it a need for the investment of large sums of money in the
> defense of harbours and naval bases

the