BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:55:21 -0500
Books are the hand hewn stones of our souls. They consist of fossilized ideas, traces of lives unknown. They are mortared together by bare fingers, spanning time and space to build a mansion of many improbable rooms. But books like people eventually go to mold and dust or fire or flood.

I like to give the ones I've read to friends, except references I use or loan. The ones I haven't read I keep warily like unkept promises or unpaid debts. They are possibilities of inspiration.

Now they are kept on the Internet. The problem is more writers than readers. I'm putting one up on my website now, but the website is already obsolete.

Google Books is a valuable reference for out of print books. May you can download to your hard drive. There I found "The Writings of Jefferson" (Vol 13), 1854, which does not include letters to Sally Hemmings or how he built Montecello. It does have his description of  the mineral deposits in Virginia and what limestones are good and where to find marble. He becomes effusive when describing Natural Bridge and puzzled about how sea fossils got to the tops of mountains. It also contains his survey of a cave.

So we can lay up our treasures in micro magnetic arrangements of ones and zeros until the juice runs out or becomes obsolete or the world is erased.

Larry2