BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:14:11 -0400
deb wrote:
> geez, you musta had a different UPS company than I did!
> one of my biggest headaches with UPS and LTL shipments (small jobs of
three
> or four partitions, etc)
> was that I was receiving about one damaged box for every three sent...
> UPS and the trucking companies claimed the
> packaging was inadequate, and
> the shippers claimed the material belonged to me once it left their
> docks....

Inadequate packaging is a standard excuse for UPS destruction of
perfectly well packaged shipments. The technical term for this is, as
Ralph has so eloquently specified, BULLSHIT. As for your vendor
treating your shipment as "not their problem", please see the technical
specifications in the previous sentence.

> the trucking company OS&D usually offered me half of half the value
of the
> damage, or one quarter, and I still had to meet the insurance
investigator,
> rebox the material, file a claim with documentation, wait for trucking
> company pickup, and pay freight on the replacement material, which was
> always late, and usually damaged, as well...

> deb
>
> --
Our solution to the attempted outright thievery of UPS and other
interstate transportation firms (who are no longer subject to anybody's
regulation due to a brilliant downsizing of government and elimination
of the Interstate Commerce Commission) is to give them giant headaches.
UPS gas been under criminal investigation for unfair business practices
because we kept filing complaints with our state's Attorney General's
office. Since our story hit the papers, the complaints against UPS have
been coming out of the woodwork. In the meantime, all disputed bills
are on hold.

Trucking companies are easier to deal with. You don't pay them and you
find another one. They broke it, they bought it. Don't pay your vendor
either until they fix the problem. If we get damaged freight, we don't
pay the bill until its been worked out to our convenience. If we ship
something and it gets damaged, our customer only has to fax us a copy
of the delivery receipt on which they noted the damages. Then we ship
replacement material at no charge. Our trucking companies know they
will not be paid an amount equivalent to the damage until they have
paid us for it. If they try to settle for less, borrow a few technical
terms from Ralph's Histo Presto Lexicon and then sue them in small
claims court. Sue the guy who represents them personally, too.

It's a tough world out there. If we are not good consumers, we will be
doormats to the multitudes of unscrupulous businesses that prey on
small business people whom they count upon to lack the time, expertise
or energy to fight them.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President