BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
This isn`t an office, it`s hell with fluorescent lighting.
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:44:27 -0500
Michael, I'll admit it, I'm a liberal, and I like Michael Moore,
although I don't read his books.  He is from my state, Flint, even, and
I for one am proud of his success for saying it is like it is here in
Michigan.  Besides he is funny and does a great "show".

Ken, you have your head on straight, and it is wonderful to hear you are
satisfied with your life as it stands right now.  Keep it up!  Some day
I want the satisfaction of working on/for/around a synagogue.  Sometimes
it is annoying to be considered the "church lady" in our firm, when I am
the only Jew.  I have a counterpart in the DC office who worked on the
Small Museum of Jewish History, much to her professional enjoyment, and
we are hopeful to be involved in an old Detroit Synagogue rehab, if
there is grant money for the project.  Meanwhile, I enjoy the committee
process of assisting congregations of other religions, mostly Episcopal.

Religious builidngs in Europe bring double the enjoyment of being, well,
in Europe.  Ken, feel free to call me, if I can help out...

QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA

219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
www.quinnevans.com
v 734.663.5888
f 734.663.5044

Didn't Like:
Dude, Where's My Country? - Michael Moore, whose last movie, Bowling for
Columbine, also had its "over the top" moments.

But then I'm not a liberal.

Mike E.

------------------------------

Zabludow Synagogue Project

... workshop in Bialystok and the Podlaskie region of Poland pertaining
to the Zabludow synagogue project ....

And, as of Friday afternoon, PCLS is in the position of facilitator of
the Canadian/American wing of the interim international steering
committee for the Zabludow synagogue project. Svante seems to be
pleased... he built the frame and now I'm to help paint the picture.

    Poland is an amazing country full of amazing people and I might get
to go back there again.

][<en

--Boundary_(ID_MvopcVsQ8CdhU3yKgosfCA)

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html>
<head>
content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
  <title></title>
</head>
Zabludow Synagogue Project<br>
I have not been at the beach, but I have been busy. Come to think of it
I can hear the beach from the house.<br> <br> First was attending a
workshop in Bialystok and the Podlaskie region of Poland pertaining to
the Zabludow synagogue project for about 12 days.<br> Then attending
IPTW 2003 in Columbia, MD. Where I mostly confered with the masons and
fellow PTN members. And after several years of involvement stepped back
from the PTN board to make room for a few fresh faces and kindred
spirits. For me it was the best IPTW ever because I actually got to sit
in on a few sessions.<br> Then attending the Timber Framers Guild
Eastern conference in Montebello, Quebec, Canada.<br> Along the way I
also became a member of the International Log Builder's Association. I
am learning the difference between bark and hewing.<br> Spent a bit of
time in Southampton, LI before going to Poland, playing with bricks.
Waiting for the hurricane that did not show.<br> Spent some time mucking
around in Manhattan on a bit of work here and there.<br> Did a talk with
Derek Trelstad for Misia Leonard's students at her CCNY
preservation/architecture class. Lisa Sasser did a talk too, but on a
different day.<br> Finally got the office in Mastic Beach working. Quit
fighting with the computers. I won. The heat is on and the plumbing
works.<br> We had a dog die, and last week we got ourselves a new puppy
that is driving us all nuts. A black and white Border Collie X, his name
is Mud Spill.<br> One of my flash stories came up #2 out of the top 3
rated on the Zoetrope website for September, Mohammed in America. It
will eventually be published online by <a
href="http://webdelsol.com/">Web Del Sol</a> which is a pretty good
score for an online lit mag.<br> I have been making a map of New York
State for my Railroad Tycoon 3 game.<br> I am looking for <a
href="www.precon-logstrat.com">ONE stone</a>. You can read about it in
the latest Traditional Building magazine under the PTN newsletter. I am
also looking for 5,000 trees.<br> <br> And, as of Friday afternoon, PCLS
is in the position of facilitator of the Canadian/American wing of the
interim international steering committee for the Zabludow synagogue
project.<br> Svante seems to be pleased... he built the frame and now
I'm to help paint the picture.<br> <br> This does a few things that I
care about:<br> <br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am working with people that I
like. A whole lot of people that I like.<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If I am
fortunate I will be paid for working to realize the dreams of my
friends.<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am taking a step away from years of
dependency on the NYC building stock. I don't commute so much any
more.<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I continue to work with my son -- who has
been keeping me on the straight as far as me chasing my dreams.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Poland is an amazing country full of amazing people
and I might get to go back there again.<br> <br> I spent my Thanksgiving
weekend hiding out and reading about Manifest Destiny. (I put Popper's
Open Society down for a breather.)<br> <br> Today it is Monday and I am

--Boundary_(ID_MvopcVsQ8CdhU3yKgosfCA)--

End of BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Digest - 30 Nov 2003 to 2 Dec 2003
(#2003-315)
*