BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:11:38 EST
In a message dated 98-01-12 02:52:04 EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I honestly believe that if it were perceived as economically
>  feasible you would see the evolution of as new grammar of ornament within
>  contemporary architecture which would allow for much more surface
>  decoration.

As the technology for terra-cotta production improves, the ceramic sciences
are applied to space exploration and buildings, there is a noticeable increase
in the use of terra cotta ornament on new structures. Computerization of
fabrication machinery has also made inroads in stone ornamentation and the
tile industry. As the technology of production increases in the ability to
efficiently produce unique variations in building units, and maintain size
tolerances, architects do appear inclined to incorporate ornament. Though, my
experience on various projects leads me to the belief that architects
generally resist ornamentation and only begrudgingly succumb to it under
pressure from other elements in the building team. I've seen several
situations in which the architect openly disdained the artist's work (tile
murals) that the person paying for the building insisted upon. Part of the
problem is that the murals become the focal point of the design. But this is
only bad architectural practice I am complaining about.

][<en