BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:45:46 -0400
Not that I really know anything, but why couldn't they have been salvaged? When I did my own home rehab, I had to remove some significant areas of veneer. It took very little time with a mason's hammer to knock off the mortar from the brick faces; I can see where you would be doing a great service to the New York City social environment by providing opportunities for unskilled labor for unskilled laborers.

Of course, I know there aren't any unskilled laborers in a union environment. But isn't there a workaround? Maybe donate the bricks to a non-profit jobs-creation program and then buy them back for a pittance? Or some other workaround. Seems a shame in this dawning era of sustainability to be wasting the embodied energy represented in the bricks, plus their beauty, plus the desirability of aesthetic outcome for the worthy of weeping over palazzo.

D.