BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
This conversation may be monitored for quality control.
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:39:14 -0100
I was assigned to invite Roy Underhill to the IPTW in Ohio... I called
him up and told him honestly that I had no clue who he was and had never
seen his TV program but that I, the 'mason' calling the 'carpenter' had
been asked to call and invite him to come be our keynote speaker. I then
quickly flipped the interface task over to Rudy who it turned out was at
least on speaking terms with Roy... and Rudy knows about wood stuff. Roy
was our keynote that year and in NoLA at Holy Cross he wandered around
the neighborhood in the rain and dried his socks w/ the infrared paint
stripper where the kids were working on window sash repairs. It seemed
to me it was vital & refreshing for him to have peer time non-celeb and
just hang out.

In full disclosure though I am in the 'business' I can't handle watching
any of the fix-it-up histo presto TV programs. For one thing I have no
patience, for the other the one-way information that television provides
seems so far removed from reality that it has no meaning to the RL (real
world, as gamers abbreviate it). Steve Thomas when I met him left a
lasting impression that there is nothing there to bother with. I stood
in a lunch line one timevand talked w/ Bob Vila  and what I think of him
I cannot repeat in civil discourse. Roy is a real good solid person.

Currently reading Al Gore's book, The Assault on Reason. What he writes
is making me really pissed off. Anyways, he provides a very cogent
explanation of the effect that the one-way aspect of television has vs.
the written media of newspapers etc. on our public discourse. Newspapers
-- the ability to write a letter to the editor -- being much more
accessible to citizens, and a media of two-way discourse, as opposed to
television that is accessible only with money, and access to the
technology, and a one-way information feed. He brings in issues such as
the neuro-biological brain activities that occur when we watch
television as opposed to how we read a newspaper, or a book. Connects in
with me with my aversion to watching fix-it-up programs on the
television... I am much more attuned to focus on my hand/arm motion with
a saw cutting.

Though further disclosure... I watch a whole lot of television and read
a book at the same time and consider it down-time relaxation.

][<en