BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:46:27 -0400

> In a message dated 8/20/2002 3:21:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > Styrene is an inherently UV-unstable material which will discolor
and break
> > down mechanically outdoors. It's DOA, as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Michael,
>
> I was thinking Kemperol with the 50 (??) year warranty. Used not
only on
> parking decks but as a roofing membrane on the top of the Empire
State
> Building, the Pan Am (Met Life) building and on water containment
and dams in
> Washington State. Is this what you are refering to as UV-unstable?
>
> Very much thanks for the definition of elastomeric... previously I
thought it
> was just another snake-oil term.
>
> ][<en

While I am not particularly familiar with Kemperol, I am sticking with
the "styrene as inherently UV unstable" comment. Actually, my comments
regarding styrene membranes were specifically aimed at a highly hyped
styrenated latex-modified cementitious system marketed by a small but
loud firm in NJ.

As for "straight" styrene, i.e., without cement, just think
fiberglass. Or vinyl siding. They will be there for a long time
because they are thick and UV degradation only attacks a
microscopically thin surface layer, which degrades and erodes away
slowly over time.

As for "elastomeric" being a snake oil term, you are pretty much on
target, because no standardized definition of this term has been
adopted. There are companies calling their house paint elastomeric,
even though it may embrittle at 50 degrees F or lose its flexibility
once the plasticizers have washed out, a couple of years after
application.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President