BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:04:21 EST
I have a theory I would like to put forth:  I can remember that my
grandmother's house used to have canvas awnings.  In the summer time she
would open windows in the morning to allow cool air to circulate, then as the
sun got hotter, the windows (on the  sunny side at least) were closed and the
window awnings provided shade.  I also remember that in the fall, the awnings
were usually taken down to allow for optimum use of the sun's warming powers.
 The point is that someone was home during the day to open windows, adjust
awnings, take awnings down and in general have a reason to use them.  As
American women began to be home less often during the day due to work, and
children were home less often due to increased diversions (driving, the mall,
soccer, etc.) could it be that the awning just became a redundant element of
the modern home?   Nothing to do with cheap landlords, maintenance, style or
anything else; they just simply are not needed because there is no one there
to need them during the day.  Just a thought.

 BTW  I would like to thank Ken and Kathy Follet, Bryan Blundell, Rudy
Christian, John Feugelso, and all of the presenters, volunteers, vendors,
etc... who worked so hard to create and foster a forum that makes it possible
for tradesman, architects, engineers and others to gather, discuss,  learn
and party in a climate of mutual respect and understanding.  For those of you
who have never attended an IPTW...it is well worth the investment of your
time, and since many (most?) of you are architects, the money shouldn't be an
issue. (I couldn't help myself)

Mark