BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:01:42 -0700
Sounds like a case for the Seattle based organization, "Plant Amnesty",
established to especially promote appreciation of natural tree forms.

We could have used them in Vernon, BC where friends had purchased one of two
neighbouring city lots that were both completely filled with a dense woods
of small and large trees.   They designed and built a house nestled between
trees so as to not cut any of them, retaining the pretty little dense woods
right in town.

Years went happily by and they finally noticed a For Sale sign with a Sold
sticker on the undeveloped woodsy lot next door.   Returning home from work
one day, they were confronted by a new scene.   The lot had been totally
stripped and flattened.   Half of the woodsy urban paradise was gone.
Right on the dividing lot line was a giant old maple tree several feet in
diameter.   The tree had been bisected, cut neatly down the middle right on
the property line with only their portion still standing.   It turned out
that the new neighbour was from the Canadian prairies and had decided to
retire in Vernon, BC.   He was simply turning his new property into the
landscape he was familiar with.

A tale not unlike that of the new Groundskeeper I once hired at a historic
site, who on his first day or work proudly cut down all the climbing Sweet
Peas carefully planted beside the rail fence by the site's Gardener.   No
"weeds" left in his view of landscape.

cp in bc