BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edison Coatings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 12:57:10 -0400
Dan,

As this question gets more attention, I suspect the reasoning will evolve, but
here's the way I see it:

1. Original service life of portland-lime mortar seems to be on the order of
about 75 years. As carbonation proceeds, the mortar becomes more brittle, and
eventually it either delaminates or cracks. Natural cement doesn't seem to do
that. I have seen lots of 100 to 150-year-old natural cement mortar in
excellent condition, and the pattern of damage tends to be localized, e.g., a
corner washes out below a hole in the roof that went unrepaired for some
extended period of time.

2. Repointing work does not seem to last as long as original mortar. I suspect
that a lot of that has as much to do with the poor quality of the work and
poor match to original materials, but there seems to be a 25-year cycle for
portland mortars on many projects. What little we have seen so far with
natural cement repointing seems to hold out the promise of much longer
durability. Perhaps an extreme and only anecdotal example, but the repointing
done by Thomas Jefferson at Monticello using natural cement has performed for
180 years. The key may be the long-term retention of flexibility.