BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Royal Order of Lacunae Pluggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:31:57 EST
In a message dated 3/23/2001 8:14:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Score another one for the Design Professionals!

When I called the "Design Professionals" to check on documentation sources, I
could hear them laughing in the background. Something about "It deserved to
be demolished -- it was nothing but a hovel!"

Meanwhile, the engineer's report described an 1815 building with a perfectly
intact foundation, rough hewn tree trunks used as principal framing members,
mortise & tenon construction, what looked to be original windows, and a
section of late 19th C. veranda. But for the aluminum triple-tracks and fake
shingles, this 200 year old building looked not only authentic, but pretty
intact.

In spite of this, the only mention of the word "preservation" at the planning
board hearing was of the 200 year old Chestnut tree in the front -- probably
planted when the house was built. Now the tree stands in front of a drive-in
bank.

The engineer's description of M&T construction as fundamentally unsound,
however, doomed this building. I think I'll send him information on IPTW
2001. He clearly needs some education by the timber framers.

M (not so S) P