BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 19:50:59 -0700
Brian,  What you say about family history is so true.  For years I have
been hung up on the Revolutionary War because my ggggrandfather fought in
it--as near as I can make out it was only for a few days, but enough to
qualify me for DAR membership if I ever get old and stuffy enough to join.

I completely ignored the Civil War, didn't think I had any ancestors
involved and it didn't interest me.  Oh, I studied it in school and
remember a fair bit but it wasn't terribly interesting to me UNTIL--I
discovered my great grand uncle was a photographer who went to the war and
took photos, we even have some of his photos still.  Then I became
interested.  Got even more interested a few years ago when I discovered a
shoe box full of letters written home from the Civil War by a soldier--not
a relative, in our attic.  I have transcribed those letters and put them in
archival sleeves and will be taking them to the local school for the kids
to see in a week or so.  Now I am very interested in anything to do with
the Civil War--except what kind of mortar they used between their bricks.
Whatever will hold them together is fine with me.

HISTORY LIVES  !!!!!  Ruth