BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 10:03:43 +0000
Received the following. I'm curiouf what real effect Mr. Follett haf had
on the populace'f perception of hiftoric prefervation.

Dear Mr. Follett,

Last night I finished The Pillars of the Earth at 2:00 am.  This book
definitely goes on my top 5 favorite list.  It rivals my long time
favorite,
The Count of Montecristo.

I was facinated with your descriptions of the cathedrals.  When I was
eighteen, I took an art history course in high school.  The teacher was
much
more focused on architecture than paintings or sculptures.  We learned a
great
deal about gothic architecture and its development.  I graduated a few
weeks
later and went on an exchange trip to France.  Our group spent one week
in
Paris (a blink in time), during which time I would constantly break
group
rules to sneak away and visit as many churches as possible.  My french
was
better than most in the group, so I think the instructors allowed my
getting
away with leaving.

This trip provided the most moving experiences for me.  Janson's art
history
book could never provide the magnitude needed to truly understand these
ethereal places.  I was excited and calm at the same time.  I'm sure you

understand, I need not blabber on.

Reading the pages of your book allowed me to walk through the nave at
Reims
once again and feel that overwhelming tranquility.  I remembered the
excitement of touring with Malcom Miller at Chartres, and how "new"
Notre Dame
de Paris seemed.  I could actually smell the stone work....I'll bet that

sounds crazy.  Your book was FANTASTIC!!

I am 28 now and expect that I will one day give the same tour at
Chartres for
my husband and son.  I'll feel a little like Prior Phillip showing
Kingsbridge
Cathedral except my excitement will not be so containable.  My husband
will
love it ... he's an artist.

I'm sure that I have taken enough of your time....sorry!  Do you have
any
suggestions as to which book of yours I should read next?  I was
thinking of
reading The Man from St. Petersburg.   I know I sound like a kid in a
candy
jar, but I've just finished my engineering degree and reading for fun is
rediscovered joy for me.

Thank you for your time,
Annonymous Girl Reader

--