BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:14:29 -0800
Leland Torrence wrote:

>Son Leland tells me he likes the idea of school, but doesn't want to study what they are teaching.  He would like to learn about Rome, mythology and how things work.  Know any tutors, men of wisdom in the New Haven area?

Leland,

Tutors or eccentric angels? Though teachers are for hire mentors choose
their apprentices. My suggestion is that you feed young Leland
everything you can get to quench his desire to learn.

At some point all I wanted was to be a poet. That was too soon before I
got out of school and it kind of put a damper on my formal achievement
arc. Though it is not worth a whole hell of a lot I know a bit about
poetry as a result. Is knowledge worth anything if it does not nearly
cost your life?

At another point in time I determined that if there was anything worth
my knowing in the world I should not have to pay to know it, work, yes,
pay, no. Someplace along the road a guy told me that if I need to know
something I will. Sounds obvious but not so easy to trust in blindly.
Easier to understand that at some point a person is valued for what they
actually know and eventually for all that they are able to forget.

This morning I was contemplating that Jaques Derrida said that the trust
in the correspondence of words to reality, the disconnect of word and
Logos, was lost in the 18th century Enlightenment whereas Ockham in 1323
made a distinction between words and concepts. Pushing the issue of
signifier & signified to several centuries earlier. This from a History
of Falsehood.

Over the Holiday and pre-stomach virus picked up Wittgenstein Flies a
Kite, Susan G. Sterrett. It seems Wittgenstein started out as an
aeronautical engineer and Ms. Sterret proposes drawing parallels in
models of wings and the world.

At one time all I wanted to know was how to build a really good fireplace.
Today what I want to know is what all the code numbers mean on the
Workers Comp audit.
When I have had enough of that I will go online and chill as a Warlock.

This new year...
][<