BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:50:17 -0500
Ralph wrote:

> There are a couple of houses out in Summit with awnings, and not grand (or
> old) ones; 1950's houses where (no doubt) some old lady has had them for
> ever, remembering the useful awnings of her yout'.

hey!
I resemble that remark   ;)

our house is little, and has really ugly aluminum awnings that were
installed in the fifties when the owners put up the newfangled aluminum
siding...
I like them
they are kind of like little porches outside the windows
makes the house seem bigger or something   ;)
and, they do block the sun in the summer, while letting it
in in the winter..... as a good awning is wont to do  ;)
but of course, in these days of total interior climate control,
that aspect of awning utility is a forgotten art, at least in
most residential situations.....
(just wait til heating oil gets to $3 or $4/gallon, and electricity gets to
$ .35/kwh, and we'll see how fast the younger generation learns  ;) )

I don't doubt that if mine were canvas that I'd have had to maintain
I'd have gotten rid of them as they wore out --
money and time and all that dreary stuff being issues around here  ;)
(although I think canvas awnings are classy looking   ;) )

and I'd say drew's been watching too much tv  ;)

deb