BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:54:26 -0500
Linoleum, I'm doing an HSR on a 1933 building where the original floor covering
is linoleum and the backing appears to be burlap, or something very much like
it.  The sub floor should be concrete, but I haven't had a real good look at
that yet.  1883 may be too early for Linoleum, but there were some sheet goods
floor coverings that preceeded linoleum.  Surely someone has written about this
stuff in the APT Bulletin, or CRM.

Clear coating fibre board...sure...and doing epoxy repairs to treated wood
too!  All it takes is a significant event to take place at the right local...or
a significant person to gain significance surrounded by these wonderful 20th
century materials.  The good news is that you will be able to make a strong
case that the most sensitive conservation treatment is replacement. Replacement
will respect the trade and design norms of the significant period.

Winter is coming.  I've got a wood pecker working on a spot of rot on a window
molding outside my office.  Its a badly designed window, a badly designed
installation and the weather is too cold to go do a badly executed wood filler
repair.  I do intend to replace the window, but I have no malice toward the
wood pecker.  Obviously he's an architectural critic of some ability.

I wonder if the pond will freeze smooth this year?

-jc