BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:48:10 -0800
"It was a beautiful morning; the scenery was very pretty; interesting
sights was to be seen on every hand. Looking down toward Sandy Hook I
saw the beautiful banks on the side of the river, which was adorned with
forts, mansion houses, gardens and green fields, etc.; and looking over
the water the large number of vessels of almost every size, some sailing
up and some sailing down the river; then I saw the various flags blowing
in the breeze and the feeling all these objects produced in me was that
they harmonized with the beautiful scenery. While standing almost lost
in thoughts concerning the great variety of objects and their various
relations I turned around and fixed my eyes toward the city and
beholding the towering steeples and splendid houses; the Castle Garden
with its green trees; and looking up along the docks the vast number of
ships and vessels and flags of almost every nation, and so far as my eye
could see up the North River it appeared like an extensive forest; and
now and then Steam boats passing majestically up and down the rivers in
every direction round this greatest metropolis in America."

Olof Gustaf Hedstrom,  New York, Monday, May 27, 1833
<http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=51553208>
<http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=51553208>