BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kevin Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:49:46 -0400
Ouch!
The situation I'm actually trying to avoid is where we're all four weeks
from completion, the burl, the linen, and the comfy chairs are all ordered
and installed, and the contractor comes to the meeting and says "it's
proving to be more difficult to get at the steel from the exterior than we
thought-- it's going to take 45 extra man-days, some specialized equipment
that has to be hand-shipped from Europe, and a yak.  Here's our change
order." If you're suggesting that the designer hides work in order to make
the budget fit his/her follies, well, there are counter-arguments about
contractors on that subject, as well.

I'd rather not begin a designer vs. contractor deathmatch here. I asked
the question because no one wins when ugly surprises occur in
construction, and it's in the best interests of designers and contractors
to resolve disputes as quickly and easily-- and as early-- as possible.

Kevin "of course, if you were making a joke, um... ha ha" Daly
BCA- New York City