BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:55:57 EST
In a message dated 1/18/98 8:15:47 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I think there needs to be a simple strategic
>  manual that people can get a jump start on the fight, and learn from the
>  experience of others.

There's a great basic book called something like "You CAN Fight Developers --
And Win!" It gives some basic strategies, tactics.  A basic understanding of
preservation laws and regulations (both state and federal), of course is
important.  The SHPOs in many states have put out public information materials
on Section 106 and state rules.  A problem in New Jersey, however, is that
administrative findings -- critical precedents in many cases involving
"encroachments" under the NJ Register of HP Act -- are not organized in any
way that makes them retrievable, it seems.  Nor are they very accessible to
preservation advocates unless they know exactly what they are looking for, or
find a SHPO staffperson who is able to remember the issue in a previous
matter.  Perhaps other states have different ways of handling this.

It may be difficult to devise a step-by-step strategic manual that will apply
to all states, since the laws and regulations (except federal) that might be
helpful to advocates are all different.  The "You Can Fight . . ." book is
great as a primer.

MDKrugman