BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:33:11 -0500
> From: Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:27:40 -0500
>
> Granted that we are always dealing with a world saturated
> with a media that works to create a sense of need where there may have
> never been one before,
>
> In another direction, if we want to pursue the conservation and
> restoration of old windows then we need to learn how to use the tools
> that the new-window manufacturers use, and that includes to learn to
> work with capital, as well as to learn to work with webinars, as well as
> to be able to keep the voices of histo presto alive. Since I am not
> particularly good at any of this I think we need to learn to work together.

Saturated doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

My notes from a 2007 conference session on "Building Public Will for Historic Preservation," about framing the message to impact broad public perception of histo presto, provide some factoids on "communication clutter"--

The average American:
Sees or hears between 4,000 and 5,000 messages daily (all sources, including street signs, building signs, media, etc., year 2000 estimate).
Encounters 1,692 branded messages daily;
Views or hears 20,000 TV or radio commercials yearly.

I'm sure with the rise of Web 2.0 and social networking, the numbers are higher today.

Much of the commercial marketing message, at least delivered by the major consumer corporations, is highly sophisticated in its manipulation of human and social receptors.

Besides the futility of trying to get a word in edgewise among Coca-Cola, Anheiser-Busch, Chevrolet, Apple, ad infinitum, histo presto will never be able to muster the marketing budgets of the window replacement industry alone, much less all the other products out there compellingly promising to make the average American's life better and cheaper and maintenance-free. And because we primarily do buildings, we certainly don't understand the science of persuasion.

So the President's budget while citing as priorities jobs and sustainability can zero out SAT and Preserve America and crow that they are cutting programs: "The SAT and PA programs have not demonstrated how they contribute to nationwide historic preservation goals.... Although SAT and PA programs use merit-based criteria to evaluate annual nominations for projects, the programs have not demonstrated how they contribute to National historic preservation goals. The programs lack rigorous performance metrics and evaluation efforts, so benefits remain unclear."

Except that as job creation programs, they have been immensely successful. We definitely have a problem with our message delivery.

Those of you that subscribe to Forum-L will have probably seen Rypkema's blog posts on this subject, but here's the link for those of you that haven't see them:

<http://www.placeeconomics.com/blog.html>

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.         "Dagnabit Muskie, who
Raleigh Historic           dropped the cotton pickin'
Districts Commission         curtain on my toe bone?"
[log in to unmask]                        - Deputy Dawg
919/516-2632

--

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.” -- **Please remember to trim posts, as requested in the Terms of Service** To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: <http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html>