BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:25:32 -0400
A year or two ago Bryan mentioned that one task for PTN was to defined what
"trades" meant. Last winter I was working on some definitions to help my
consulting work when I came across the Nizer quote of current interest:

> "A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his
>  hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands
and
>  his brain and his heart is an artist."
>  Louis Nizer, Esq. (1902-1994)

I have incorporated this with my own work to expand and detail these
difinitions. I submit them here for your review and comment.

Honor in All work
(Copyright 1999 John C. Leeke)

A man who works with his hands is a Laborer.
He does the bidding of others.

A man who works with his hands and his tools is a Tradesman.
He follows the rules laid down by others.

A man who works with his hands, tools and his head is a Craftsman.
Knowledge and ideas become extensions of his mind to implement the plans of
others.

A man who works with his hands, tools, head and his heart is an artisan.
Vision moves him to create great works that inspire others.

Of course I see I must de-genderize this. Any other comments?

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

publisher:               Practical Restoration Reports
contributing editor: Old-House Journal
postal:                    26 Higgins St., Portland, Maine  04103, USA
phone & fax:           01 207 773-2306
email:                      [log in to unmask]
website:                  www.HistoricHomeWorks.com