BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darling, all I want is that you should be a pinhead -- Arlene Croce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:41:07 -0400
In a message dated Mon, 12 Aug 2002 3:52:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I am trying to find/locate some replacement hardware for the lower sash of a double hung window for a 1830's church.

So whaddaya want here?  Pulleys? Weight and chains? Sash lifts?
The replacement stuff is shit and will have a limited life, but the oild shit is a pain in the ass.  Very likely the weights were left in the pockets.  Use chain rather than rope, and bronze chain if you can get it, although I suspect the copper-plated steel chain will probably be sufficiently durable.

> 2)  Glass window panes.

You can try to salvage glass from old sash, which often has nice zits and waves and various other picturesque flaws in it, but I found it almost impossible to cut decently.  This may have been my fault, however, for failure to get all the old paint, putty and dirt off or some other stupidity on my part; John Leeke can probably tell you how to do it without wasting huge amounts of precious old glass.

Good luckm, and report back.
Ralph