BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Tricia vs. Julie!! Rosie is gay! Travertine falling! When will it stop??" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:18:58 EST
As a young journeyman stonemason I had an opportunity to work in Italy and
Greece
I like the way Travertine is used outdoors in Italy; no thin veneers and it
takes on a patina  of classical  tones. ...While...
White Greek Thassos is another beautiful stone used well outdoors everywhere
in Greece. Both are inappropriate for the northern Usa ; I have seen them
hold up better in Florida...but there the scale is all wrong ( thin)  and the
humidity plays havoc with it  ....I  will echo Walters comments (I worked the
Chicago trib also) ; with this to add  when choosing stone try and find
samples of how it will look 10 years from now ....stone salesmen are like
mule traders  you have to look into the mouth to see what you are getting
...New York is full of bad stone sales. ....The old Colonna marble yards
supplied the travertine for Linclon Center  in the early 60s   it was the
last big stone job iin New York for almost 25 years......Travertine was
unused before then except in  Lobbies ..... like Jackie O  it (travertine)
was so sixties..on Linclon center it was so ... Roman.
The Queens Clonna yards closed after several mob rub outs  The yards I think
are still there ; owned by Dr. Joan Eiffert who married the travertine king
of Italy whos name escapes me . Joan is a world expert on Travertine; and on
stone ...sadly she dosen't need the money so we don't ever hear from her.
Huge blocks of aged marble litter the grounds; the summer I was there we(
fellow stone masons from the cathedral)  used the massive stone slurry pit as
a private swimming hole with the chili lights  for moonlight swims
overlooking Manhattan
on the bank of the east river  there was a huge cave overhang made of marble
blocks where we kept  a row boat  and worked on various cathedral
projecrts..The site is in holding  to be made into an apartment complex if
not already done so  Best Michael