BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:45:36 -0500
Becker, Dan wrote:
*After tortuous internal debate, necessity intervenes and defeats the
frugal penny-pinching waste-not want-not values drummed into me by my
depression-era father. I buy the box.*

CONGRATULATIONS! I wish I had a nickel for every jury-rigged,
wrong-sized, inappropriate-materials cobble inflicted on my poor house
here over the years, I'd be rich. My hand pump is held down with three
bolts; each one is a different type and takes a different tool to
remove. Waste 10 minutes digging out appropriate tools year after year
to service the pump leather, because someone wanted to save $0.40 on
fasteners 20 years ago. Multiply by 15 or 20 such situations a year.
ARGH. This is what I call pathological frugality, and we have a lot of
it here.

I finally BROKE DOWN and went and bought a four-pack of stainless bolts
($1.68) and replaced the old fasteners. And I threw away the odd bolt
from the pack, and fasteners that I'd removed. Mr Battlestations, I hope
you don't hold onto the extra duct unless you have an immediate need for
it.

I know, I know, I'm going to burn...

~deb  "cleaned out and filled a dumpster with all the moldy left-over
insulation scraps, broken equipment, 5" 2x4's, and other 30 YO drek from
the shed and crawlspace and was accused of 'throwing away all the good
stuff'" bledsoe