BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
When I'm in bed I'm a tourist.
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 06:41:33 -0500
Good start to my day Michael, thanks.

I suspect I'm the only human tempted to swim in our pond.  Its kind of
yuckie when you get up close and personal.  Left to its own devices it
would quickly return to the swamp from which it came.

Last evening a Briteney Spaniel escaped and created a stir by chasing
ducks around.  But they swim a lot faster than him and were in no
danger.  My lab-God-knows-what mix found the whole affair somehow
insulting.  She likes to ride in the canoe, but seems to have forgotten
that she enjoys swimming.

My kids learned to swim at the Y.  As well as they did, as much as
their teachers seemed to make the experience enjoyable, each of them
seems to have a clearer memory of swimming laps with me, while waiting
for the others to finish their lessons.  I remember too.  Moments of
pleasure in the middle of studying for the exam.  (Is there any
other?).  Doing the back stroke with a little one hanging onto my big
toe, estimating the depth of the beams above and the span and doing
little calculations that seemed important at the time.

I continued to swim the backstroke with kids hanging onto my toe, but I
stopped doing calculations.

-jc