BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:25:11 EST
In a message dated 98-01-19 10:44:40 EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> I don't think that "developer" as the term is used now, applies to these
>  examples.

I agree that developer implies real estate speculation. I am of the impression
that the driving force behind the expansion of strip malls (possibly not in
the case of super malls, but in particular the case of smaller malls which are
spreading out like the pox) the idea is to build it, rent it out, and then
sell it to someone else as quickly as possible, then go build another one.
Quite often this is combined with various tax  sheltering incentives. Bankers,
accountants and tax lawyers are culpable in the plot. I suppose this is
actually speculation that there is another fool waiting to buy the  next mall.
I suppose size is a criteria to keep them within a purchaseable range.
Developers are no worse than anyone else as people. There are developers that
look to do adaptive re-use. There possibly were some good railroad barons as
well.

][<en