BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:43:53 -0400
I received this e mail and thought it to be a subject that should be
commented on by all, esp. the entomologists among us.

From: Carol Younce <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 1:15 PM Subject: my " old log" cabin Dear Sirs, I would like some help in knowing what to do with the old logs on the outside of our cabin. It is a new ( 20 year old) house built with 200 year old logs salvaged from a barn in Augusta, WVa. The cabin is at a 1000 ft elevation in an open meadow in Burlington, West Virginia. We just bought the property a year and a half ago. As far as we can tell, the old, square cut logs have never been treated or preserved. The old adze marks still show. The past two summers we have seen many small borer bees making holes in the wood, especially on the sunny sides of the house, and then covering the holes with pieces of leaf. We would like to know what these are and how to deal with them, and also any advice you may have on treating or preserving the old logs. Thank you for your time, Carol Younce 703-273-7850 [log in to unmask]
-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html>