BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edison Coatings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 11:13:09 -0400
Chris,

Here, I think, we have a snapshot of what the argument is all about. We have an
industry that is supposed to be knowledgeable about historic materials and
methods. That's why they are given stewardship of our most important historic
buildings.

The European Lime Revival dog and pony show comes to town and many in our
industry just jump on the bandwagon with little critical thought. How many stop
to ask whether we really did things the same way in America? How many are
schooled enough, have done the reading and thinking to know that other
technologies significantly displaced lime in the 19th Century, that hydraulic
lime was never a major player here and wasn't produced here on any significant
scale?

Don't get me wrong, the hydraulic lime guys put on a pretty good show. It
leaves one with the perception that this is it, no need to worry or think any
more, there is a product that is the answer for all your applications and it
comes from Europe. This perception, however at odds with the truth, is what too
many in our industry now think is reality.

There is a body of scientific research and historical information being
published now that can set the record straight. I remain enough of an optimist
to think that if the truth is presented, if the challenges are voiced, that
most people will get it.

At the same time the people who stand to lose if the truth is known are doing
everything they can to muddy the waters. At some level they are banking on the
assumption that many in the industry will remain what ][<en describes as "a bit
backwards when it comes to reading", and that many will remain in the
inexcusable position Ken describes, where lack of information amounts to a
license to "make it up as we go along".

So that's what the argument is all about.

Mike E